On April 29, 2020, WordPress 5.4.1 was released to the public.
This security and maintenance release features 17 bug fixes in addition to 7 security fixes. Because this is a security release, it is recommended that you update your sites immediately. All versions since WordPress 3.7 have also been updated.
WordPress 5.4.1 is a short-cycle security and maintenance release. The next major release will be WordPress version 5.5.
WordPress 5.4.1 – Security Updates
Seven security issues affect WordPress versions 5.4 and earlier. If you haven’t yet updated to 5.4, all WordPress versions since 3.7 have also been updated to fix the following security issues:
- Props to Muaz Bin Abdus Sattar and Jannes who both independently reported an issue where password reset tokens were not properly invalidated
- Props to ka1n4t for finding an issue where certain private posts can be viewed unauthenticated
- Props to Evan Ricafort for discovering an XSS issue in the Customizer
- Props to Ben Bidner from the WordPress Security Team who discovered an XSS issue in the search block
- Props to Nick Daugherty from WordPress VIP / WordPress Security Team who discovered an XSS issue in
- Props to Ronnie Goodrich (Kahoots) and Jason Medeiros who independently reported an XSS issue in file uploads.
- Props to Weston Ruter for fixing a stored XSS vulnerability in the WordPress customizer.
- Additionally, an authenticated XSS issue in the block editor was discovered by Nguyen the Duc in WordPress 5.4 RC1 and RC2. It was fixed in 5.4 RC5. We wanted to be sure to give credit and thank them for all of their work in making WordPress more secure.
WordPress 5.4.1 – Maintenance updates
WordPress 5.4.1 also fixes some regressions introduced in version 5.4:
- #49838 – Accessibility: Fix the headings hierarchy on the Freedoms page
- #49798 – Customize: Give the WordPress logo a white background for dark mode browsers
- #49853 – Mail: Make the check for empty post title in
- #49753 – Media: Remove
display: none;from the (visually hidden)
<input type="file">button used in Plupload to select files for uploading. Fixes selecting files in Edge <= 44 and iOS Safari
- #49802 – Privacy: Make the deprecated
wp_get_user_request_data()function available on front end
- #49645 – REST API: Fix revisions controller get_item permission check
- #49648 – REST API: Fix
_fieldsfiltering of registered rest fields
- #49824 – Site Health: Instantiation prevents use of some hooks by plugins
- #49759 – Taxonomy: Un-deprecate
- #49974 – Block Editor updates
WordPress 5.4.1 – List of Files Revised
/wp-admin/css/about.css /wp-admin/css/edit.css /wp-admin/freedoms.php /wp-admin/images/w-logo-blue.png /wp-admin/includes/deprecated.php /wp-includes/assets/script-loader-packages.php /wp-includes/blocks/rss.php /wp-includes/blocks/search.php /wp-includes/cache.php /wp-includes/class-wp-customize-manager.php /wp-includes/class-wp-object-cache.php /wp-includes/class-wp-query.php /wp-includes/css/media-views.css /wp-includes/deprecated.php /wp-includes/formatting.php /wp-includes/post.php /wp-includes/rest-api/endpoints/class-wp-rest-controller.php /wp-includes/rest-api/endpoints/class-wp-rest-revisions-controller.php /wp-includes/taxonomy.php /wp-includes/user.php /wp-includes/version.php /wp-mail.php /wp-settings.php
WordPress 5.4.1 – Updated packages
@wordpress/block-directory: 1.5.8 @wordpress/block-editor: 3.7.8 @wordpress/block-library: 2.14.8 @wordpress/edit-post: 3.13.10 @wordpress/editor: 9.12.8 @wordpress/format-library: 1.14.8
WordPress 5.4.1 – Installation/Update Information
To download WordPress 5.4.1, update automatically from the Dashboard > Updates menu in your site’s admin area or visit https://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/.
If you have sites that support automatic background updates, they’ve already started the update process.
For step-by-step instructions on installing and updating WordPress:
If you are new to WordPress, we recommend that you begin with the following:
If you enjoyed reading this, then please explore our other articles below: